Daniel is Chair of the firm’s Technology Group, and focuses his practice on technology, privacy, data security, and infrastructure matters. Daniel understands how technology enables a company’s operations and creates competitive advantage, and he appreciates the central role data plays in driving strategic decision-making. His practice is founded upon understanding how technology can strengthen and expand upon the core missions of his clients’ businesses. Daniel is a trusted adviser to technology and telecommunication companies, healthcare providers, financial institutions, national retail and apparel companies, and manufacturing clients, as well as startup, embryonic and emerging growth companies.
As a former software engineer and network administrator, Daniel brings real-world experience to bear in counseling on a wide range of issues, including fiber optic networking, cloud computing, mobile app development, information management, privacy, and data security. He also regularly advises and represents clients on “traditional” intellectual property matters, including patent protection and enforcement, inbound/outbound licensing, trademark prosecution, brand extension, digital rights management, and large transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions.
Daniel has experience in four primary areas:
- Cloud Services – Software as a Service (SaaS), IaaS, and PaaS
- Software Development Agreements
- Software and Technology Licensing and Transfer Agreements
- Mobile App Development – Including Payment Processing and Content
- Data Ownership and Commercialization
Privacy & Data Security
- Data Privacy and Security Compliance and Counseling
- U.S. Regulatory Compliance – including HIPAA/HITECH, FTC, GLBA, FCRA, CAN-SPAM and others
- Foreign Regulatory Compliance – EU (Directive, Privacy Shield, GDPR), Russia, China, and others
- Industry Standards Compliance – PCI DSS, ISO, NIST, and others
- Policy Drafting and Program Development
- Privacy Compliance Risk Assessments and Gap Analysis
- Training, Exercising, and Incident Preparedness
- Breach Counseling, Notice and Response
Data Center & Infrastructure
- Fiber Network Design/Build and Infrastructure
- Dark Fiber, IRUs, Dim Services and Capacity/Lambda Agreements
- Collocation, Meet Me Rooms, Carrier Hotels, NOCs and Managed Services
- Layered Network Services, Cloud Computing and Hosted Services
Intellectual Property and Corporate
- IP Rights Creation, Registration, and Protection
- Inbound/Outbound Patent, Trademark and Copyright Licensing
- Brand Extension and Brand Collaboration Licensing
- Master Use, Sync, Broadcast and Performance Licensing
- Trade Secret Protection and Misappropriation
- IP Due Diligence and Counsel in M&A Deals
- Domestic and International Commercial Contracting
Before joining Fox Rothschild, Daniel was a shareholder at an Am Law 100 firm, where he co-chaired the Data Center & Infrastructure and Data Privacy & Security teams and served on the Startup Ventures team. Daniel previously worked as an associate in the Chicago offices of two international law firms.
Daniel is a former software engineer and network administrator in the telecommunications industry.