Adam is Of Counsel with ROETZEL, Chicago and focuses his practice on commercial and business litigation, representing a wide variety of clients ranging from individuals to small business owners to large corporations. He has a particular focus on investment disputes and business fraud claims, and has represented investors and investment companies as plaintiffs and defendants in lawsuits around the country. He regularly writes and presents on current issues relating to business fraud. Adam also has extensive experience litigating contract disputes, and has argued and tried multi-million dollar contract issues before judges and juries nationwide. He also has experience in advising clients in employment disputes relating to matters such as separation, severance, and non-compete agreements.
Before joining ROETZEL, Adam was a partner at Robinson, Curley & Clayton and an associate at Jenner & Block in Chicago, where his practice focused on complex business litigation.
- Lead counsel for investment company asserting breach of contract and tortious interference claims stemming from failed multi-million-dollar stock transaction. Disputed issues include attempt to pierce defendant’s corporate veil to hold its president personally liable.
- Lead counsel for investor in fraud and breach of fiduciary duty litigation against hedge fund managers and administrators.
- Represented online retailer in commercial sales fraud jury trial against software company relating to e-commerce software purchase and installation.
- Represented consulting company in breach of contract trial against client. Won favorable verdict for plaintiff that was affirmed on appeal, and prevailed on cross-appeal for increased damages.
- Represented wholesaler in contract dispute initiated by supplier. Prevailed on summary judgment motion to dismiss supplier’s claims prior to trial, and favorably resolved counterclaims.
- Defended financial services company on breach of contract claim in litigation and arbitration. Favorably settled matter following daylong arbitration hearing.
- On behalf of software company, litigated trade secrets claims against former customer who attempted to reverse engineer software and compete in same market.
- On behalf of government-appointed receiver, brought civil RICO and fraud claims relating to a series of failed investments in a Caribbean real estate development.
- Counseled numerous employees in negotiations with employers regarding separation, severance, and non-compete/non-disclosure agreements.
- Represented Illinois corporations in franchise tax disputes against the Illinois Secretary of State under Illinois Protest Act.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- University of Texas at Austin,B.A., Plan 2 Program with Highest Honors
- Completed training sufficient to be certified as a qualified mediator in Cook County, Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Literacy Chicago Associate Board, 2004-2008, Executive Board, 2008
- West Bucktown Neighborhood Association Zoning Committee, 2009
Awards and Recognitions
- Named a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Business Litigation and General Litigation, 2010-2014