Olivia T. Luk received a Chemistry degree from the Georgia Institute in Technology in 2000. She received her law degree from the Washington College of Law in 2005.
From 2000-2005, Olivia was a patent examiner for the United States Patent and Trademark Office in the area of semiconductor processing for Tech Center 2800. She practiced patent prosecution at a law firm in the Washington, DC area before moving to Chicago.
In the area of professional service, Olivia co-founded the Richard Linn American Inn of Court in Chicago and is Past-President. She is also active in the Federal Circuit Bar Association (George Hutchinson Writing Competition Judge; regular contributor to the FCBA Case Digest; past Chair of PTO Committee, Membership Committee, Law Clerks and Students Committee), IPLAC (Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition Committee; past Vice-Chair of Judicial Appointments Committee), and Chicago Bar Association (Judicial Evaluations Committee).
Olivia has been recognized by Illinois Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in Intellectual Property Litigation in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. She was awarded the American Inns of Court Sandra Day O’Connor Award for Professional Service in 2011. She also received the first “Linn Inn Alliance Distinguished Service Medal” for her leadership in bringing the American Inns of Court experience to the Intellectual Property Community.
Olivia’s pro bono practice includes the representation of a Chicago high school student charged with first degree felony murder in the high-profile case of People v. Shannon. The case received national attention after a videotape of the beating went viral. She is currently appealing the jury’s guilty verdict.
“The Patent Misuse Defense After Princo,” Intellectual Property Litigation Newsletter, ABA Section of Litigation’s Intellectual Property Litigation Committee, Vol. 22, No. 2, Winter 2011.
Speaking Engagements Include:
- “Careers in Intellectual Property Law” – Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, Chicago, IL, (Nov. 2012 )
- “Networking For Success: Career Opportunities Beyond OCI,” Ms. JD, Chicago, IL (Nov. 2010)
- “Patent Prosecution and Litigation in Light of In re Bilski,” Chicago Bar Association Intellectual Property Committee, Chicago, IL (Oct. 2010)
- “Patent Law Symposium 2010,” Intellectual Property Law Association, Chicago, IL (Oct. 2010)
- “Careers in IP Seminar,” Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, Chicago, IL (Sep. 2010)
- “Practicing Law in an Interconnected World: Exploring Trends and Opening Dialogue” presented by American University Washington College of Law in cooperation with Kogod School of Business – Recent Trends in Patent Law, Miami, FL (April 2010)
- “In re Bilski – End of an Era?,” – Illinois Paralegal Association’s Fall Education Conference, Chicago, IL (Nov. 2009)
- “Developing a Network,” Jenner & Block, Chicago, IL (May 2009)
Series: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY 101 2016
Premiere Date: 05/26/2016 2:00pm